Tuesday, March 3, 2020

1987 Trek 520 Paint touch up

After the last of the rust removal I did a treatment of the interior of the tubes with some rust inhibitor.



And this time for touch up I was going to do the right thing,I had read somewhere that I could go to Lowe's for paint match and get a small batch of paint for about $5.


I tried, I really did, here is the frame at Lowe's however there were two issues, one the cheap small batch only applied to interior paint and more of an issue, their scanner could not work with my frame so no matching.  Sigh.



I decided to go back to my nail polish option, I had some gray I thought to try in a place you wouldn't see it, the underside of the chain stay.  Its a good thing as the match was way off, silver rather than dark gray but the metal is now protected.




I used my color matching app on my phone to get a red/wine color in the general ball park, not a great match but it will protect the bare metal.


Now that the rust has been dealt with and the bare spots have been touched up (I used clear polish on the rest of the gray spots rather than having more mismatched paint spots) I can move this project along.   I am hoping to move onto the hanging stuff off the frame portion of our program.  Someday, I am going to figure out the paint match thing.

Ride. Touch up the paint. Smile. Repeat.

7 comments:

  1. A most excellent try at paint matching. Dollar stores have nail polish. Also, bring your frame into the store-who cares? Hook up with Purple - Riv; she has an eye for color, plus she wears nail polish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dollar store is an excellent suggestion I will keep that in mind for next time. Maybe next time I will bring my daughter she has to have a better eye than me or my app!

      Delete
    2. Also consider mixing polish colors to get the right shade. I do it automatically to keep bottles full - for painting my nails, but this could also come in handy for your situation.

      Delete
  2. i've had moderate success with Testors model enamels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to get a testors set and start mixing but in the short run nail polish is fast and cheap

      Delete
  3. Nice job with the 520 paint job and selling the 850. I think I'll ask my wife to see if she has any green paint to touch up my ride, for the same reasons. I doubt she'll have forest green color, but I can ask.

    I sold the wheelset that I found in the woods last year. They're an OK set of 559mm rims; Walmart quality, no-name, but trill true-ish and suitable for a beater bike. In fact that's how the buyer plans to use them, for an urban beater bike. $20 in my pocket for something that was thrown into the woods is a great deal. The wheels deserved a better fate than a dump (and the woods deserve better than to be a dumping ground, too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice save! and $20 in your pocket doesn't hurt either

      Delete