Monday, March 30, 2020

1987 Trek 520: Hanging parts II (Drive train)



Hope everyone is safe and sound during this very odd time.  I have been making (slow) progress on the 520 as I just started a (remote) job last week.  I found 2 additional new brake pads but they are mismatched, I decided to use them anyway on the back where less of the braking happens.



got them mounted and I will test thoroughly once I get the bike road worthy.


The cleaned and lubed shifters got mounted.



And I ran both the derailleurs through the sonic cleaner and then lubed them as well before mounting them.



I also cleaned up the mounting bolts and lubed all the braze on threads and mounted up the bottle cage and rear rack.  I didn't take a picture but the crank got cleaned up and its ready to go back on as well.


So I have progressed to here and my next big hurdle is to take apart the wheel hubs and do those bearings.

Ride.Smile.Repeat

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ryan, It is strange times we live in. It is good to have the bike hobby to keep sanity on line. My business is deemed essential so we stay open supplying our contractors and construction trades. We are busy but I worry about my employees being exposed and getting sick. I have given them the option to bail out and have a job to come back to. They are glad to be working so we endeavor on. I finished my conversion of Ogre to 1x12 drive train and I now commute on it as it has taken many adjustments to get it "right". It is a bit finikey in my opinion but it gets better as I ride it and then readjust. I've watched many You Tube videos, your comment made me laugh about the Trek that you no longer have to adjust!! Be well my friend and remember to keep riding for sanity in these times.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim! Glad to hear you are well and its cool you are giving your employees and opt out with a job to come back to. Neat that you have a 1x12 commuter, hope you can set it and forget it soon. I just started a new job (all remote) and I have to say its nice to keep busy. Stay Safe

      Delete