Friday, November 29, 2019

Trainer bike -1987 Miyata 112


I have been keeping an eye out for a Hybrid bike but haven't found one yet in the price range I am looking for, however, I have seen other interesting bikes.  This Miyata debuted at $60 but by the time I went to see it a few days later it was down to $50.  Since that is about right for this bike after making sure there were no stuck stem or seat post issues I paid the man.


I didn't need another bike or even this one in particular but I was intrigued for a few reasons;


  • The price was right, I am pretty sure I could part this out and get my money back or refresh it and recoup my costs but..
  • I wanted a bike to use as a trainer bike and didn't want to use any of the existing fleet for one reason or another, 2 will get rebuild, 1 is my workhorse and the other two I felt were too good to be strapped in the trainer, so no good excuses just a justification to get another bike lol.
  • Even thought this is an entry level sport touring bike, its a Miyata and I have always liked them and as you'll see it has some features that make it a cut above entry level.
  • I liked the color and the contrasting head tube color.  Oddly the catalog lists the color as Gracier blue which I suspect is a misprint of Glacier blue/


Same triple butted chromoly tubing as some of the more expensive frames in the line up.


Catalog shot showing the optional platinum red color scheme.  


Decent tube set.

Made in Japan, very nicely put together


Shimano SIS 6 speed indexed DT shifters.



I also liked that the paint and decals are in fairly nice shape for the age of the bike.


The pantographed fork crown is one of those features that make this entry level sport tourer a cut above the standard entry level vintage bike.




There are a few issues to deal with. aside from the fact the rear brake isn't hooked up; the sidewalls looked like a dried up river bottom, the front quick release needs some dremel attention and the bar tape is my least favorite -foam.  None of that should be a real issue, and as a trainer bike the tires will be fine for now.

Ride.Acquire.Smile.Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment