Sunday, August 2, 2020

I guess there are still deals out there

loading up my prize
Having done a lot of looking lately to find a Mountain bike for my nephew it seemed to me that in this COVID market that the deals have, understandably,  dried up.  Today I was browsing Craigslist, like you do, and saw a bike for $40, it was a fair drive but not horribly far, it listed issues with the front derailleur and it was a vintage early 90s hybrid and looked to be about my size.  Too good to be true right?  and normally if I see a deal it evaporates but this had only been up about an hour so why not take a flier?  Long story short I ended up getting it.


I did notice while loading it up that in addition to the stated derailleur issues it was missing a rear spoke too, but for $40 I wasn't going to complain.  The lady selling it was the original owner who said the bike had been tuned up about 4 years ago but that she had bought a new flat bar road bike and so this Univega was now excess but it had obviously been garaged, used and well cared for.



Based on the Power Oval sticker and the Shimano 400 CX group I put this bike at 1993.



Its got a real corncob of a FreeWheel that I don't think was stock but if your were mostly riding trails it was probably fine.  The serial # appears to be KGO3372 but I haven't been able to decode it yet. EDIT I missed some letters before the K so its actually WEKGO3372



I guess my hankering for a Hybrid finally came to fruition when I least expected it.  For now, after dealing with other projects,  I am going to get the rear spoke dealt with and the front derailleur working or replaced and then I am going to ride it!  After that we will see, lots of options; I could sell it and make some $, I have friend who is interested in getting a bike if its not too dear,  and then I could also go the gravel bike route as I think this would be perfect for that.

Ride. Smile. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment