Sunday, August 16, 2020

Miyata 112 Rebuild: Finished

 


After being distracted by my nephews bike and the unexpected arrival of the Univega Hybrid I got back to the Miyata 112 rebuild.  



I got the rear hub cleaned  up and the rear wheel back together but then had two tubes in a row pinch flat in the rear wheel when I mounted the rear tire so I needed a bit of a breather and I had to wait on new tubes!  I am not a fan of cheap CST 27" tires but it was what I could find at the time at a decent price.



On my third try, using the old talc (baby powder) on the tube trick I finally got a $%#!! tube to inflate in the rear wheel and could move on to other things.



The sharp eyed may notice that I, unintentionally, reversed the brake cabling.  The right brake lever is controlling the front brake rather than the rear.  I didn't realize my swap until I had it all cabled up and didn't feel like correcting it, I am curious if anyone will notice.  The bike still stops fine and I know people with a motorcycle background cable the brakes this way on purpose.


The index shifting behaved itself so I didn't have to fuss with that which was nice.  The black platform pedals are clunky and not my first choice but they are practical and free! I was trying to keep costs down on this build so that is what I mounted.



I think I ended up with a solid if unspectacular build and its come a ways since November (top picture).  I believe its a good value in this crazy market based on what I see in this range, we shall see if that brings buyers.


Ride. Smile. Repeat

EDIT Sold within 3 hours of posting!  Probably could have asked for more but I am glad its moved on to a new home and I actually made a bit of $$

No comments:

Post a Comment