Saturday, August 1, 2020

Miyata 112 Rebuild: Front Wheel


My starting point was a musty dusty wheel with a dried out tire and I really had no idea when it had last been serviced but I would guess it had been years.


Although tearing into a hub can be a bit of a PIA I have never thought oh that was a waste of time its in perfect condition.  As  you can see above this hub was nasty, dried out grease, black with age, and it definitely needed of some love.


A bit of work with a Clorox wipe and a paper towel got rid of most of the dried out grease but I still had a ways to go.




Some work with the dremel and brass wire brush got the cup nice and clean.   I ran the axle bits through the sonic cleaner to get the cones cleaned up, not perfect but a thousand % better than it was.



Fresh grease and ball bearings got this hub back closer to where it was coming out of the factory 30 years ago.



The rim got a new rim strip as the old one was fairly brittle and I bought a gross of these some time ago and still have a bunch.


The wheel spent some time in the truing stand and I was able to verify that it was in good shape and I didn't end up touching any spokes.


And finally it got a new Sunlite 27" tire.  I would have liked to use a gum wall tire but I couldn't find one in the entry level price range I was looking for so I went with the black wall.  I think the COVID effect had resulted in gum walls  being either sold out or over priced.  It was interesting to mount this tire as compared to the Panaracer tires I have been using.  Heavier and not as supple but it will be much better than the dried out rubber it replaced.   Three bearings down and one more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment