Tuesday, August 25, 2020

The Perils of FB marketplace- Giant Allegre road bike (1993 or 94)

 


The combination of boredom and FB marketplace (or CL) is a dangerous thing.  

Hmm  This Giant Roadbike has been on FB for 3 weeks wonder if its still available? (It was).  
$150 seems high I wonder if they would take $100.  (they would)
40 miles away is far but with COVID traffic I bet I could make good time (I did)
There is a great burger and beer place out that way I wonder if they are open for eating in (they were I did - yum)
I could just clean up the Giant, post with better marketing and double my Money in this crazy market - easy peasy ( I need to stop listening to this guy he doesn't know a thing!)


So I might have picked up a bike to flip.  Only I don't think its going to be as easy as I though it might be.  The picture at the top was what I had to work with, upon closer inspection I see the following areas to address and I haven't put it in the workstand yet:

  • Needs new tires, might be able to use the one I have left over from the Allez
  • The brake hoods are shot, finding new ones that fit and don't cost a kings ransom could be tough,
  • There is tape on the seat post that I *think* is just marking the insert line but could mean the post is too small.
  • Lots of sticker and tape residue on the frame so the clean up is going to harder than I first thought.
  • Front wheel needs to be trued.


The good.

  • Lugged steel frame
  • Chrome fork which I really like
  • Seat post and stem are NOT stuck 
  • Campy 8 speed Ergo drive train which intrigues me and may add "cachet" when I list it.
  • Its all there.


Next week when I am done with the Univega I will see what I can do with the Giant to get it sale worthy while the sun still shines.   I will look more closely at the serial number but it has an interesting mix of Shimano RX100 brakes and front hub (93) and Campy shifters, derailleurs, rear hub etc. (94).  Also the rear rim is super areo and the front is standard for the time.  I won't be bored lol.

Ride. Smile. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment