Thursday, October 19, 2017

Coffeeneuring Challenge 2017: Ride 2 Original Bakery

grey skies coming my way....

I am going to be out of town this weekend so I wanted to get a weekday coffee ride in to give myself a decent chance to complete the 7 ride challenge. Unfortunately the weather this week has been down right nasty; very windy, driving rain and no real breaks until today.  I spotted a two hour window that looked promising and decided to go for it as I would be leaving town this evening.


My destination was the Original bakery which is just up from the Fauntleroy ferry landing and famous for their donuts.  I have been here before with the girl but never for coffee so in that sense its another first time visit for me.  There has been a bakery on this site since 1936 and the same family has run this one since 1975.


My previous experience in getting there at mid morning rather than at open was the donuts were severely depleted but not so today!


It all looked so good I couldn't decide on just one item!  I also realized I'd left my Coffeneeruing badge at home (sad trombone) but it was all very tasty.


I ran into a friend who had also come for donuts and then came out to find my bike had a acquired a very friendly guard pup!


The handling felt a bit "squirrely" on ride to the bakery which I thought might be due to an underinflated rear tire so I added some air before leaving.


It had also been raining while I was in gorging on baked goods and I discovered that a bandana is more of a squeegee than a towel - not very absorbent.


I got to see some great autumn leaves including these 3 trees across the way from the bakery.

bad

good

In addition to the rain I also discovered I had thrown my chain just at the point I needed it on a hill, sigh.  Go it fixed, walked to the crest and ground out this ride to the finish.


The rain picked up during the slog home and I had a nice little pond in the corner of my rack bag to prove it.  The weather looks like it might improve next week so I am hoping for some drier rides.  Man, I really need to get a fendered bike in the fleet, or rather I need to get off my rear-end and apply one of two potential fender options to the Passage.

The Data:
  1. Where - Original Bakery 
  2. Date - October 19th, 2017
  3. Consumed - Latte, Glazed twist and a ham & cheese croissant 
  4. Details - Wet, windy, good bike parking, historic building
  5. Mileage - 7.82 KM / 4.88 Miles


Until next time Ride. Caffeinate. Smile. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment