Saturday, October 14, 2017

Coffeeneuring Challenge 2017: Ride 1 Admiral Bird

Admiral Bird and the Passage
The Coffeeneuring season has kicked off and despite a late start today I have ride number one of seven in the books.  With an "any day of the week" rule in effect this year I should be able to complete the challenge despite some busy weekends coming up,  I am still on the job search trail so I have the flexibility to ride to a coffee shop at 11 am on a tuesday.  As you may recall last year my theme was only places within a mile of my house and no mermaids.  This year the theme is no repeats, as in I can't go anywhere I went last year (still no mermaids).  I live in probably the most coffee shop dense place on earth (Seattle) so that shouldn't be a problem.


I didn't get started until about 1 pm, I had lots of excuses about not riding today:

  • It was cold, it didn't break 50 until after noon
  • my knee feels stiff
  • I haven't been riding much
  • I'm broke and have mostly been French pressing at home lately
  • I wanted to ride the Passage but it needed air in the tires
In other words one long whine!  So I put on my big boy pants, shorts actually, and made it happen.  I had thrown together a quick list of places earlier in the week and had decided to start with the Admiral Bird.


I have walked by this place a number of times thinking someday I will have to have coffee there.  And today I finally did.  Its a store with a coffee shop in the front have and a flower shop in the back.  The sign in the first photo above rotates and has Admiral bird on one side and Flower lab on the other.


The coffee shop portion has a mid-century diner vibe and great light with tall windows on two sides.  They also have some breakfast items; waffles and breakfast sandwiches on offer.


I just opted for a standard coffee and pastry option, which was fine but won't be stealing me away from C&P anytime soon.  I confess I started my day at C&P not sure I was going to ride so I am well caffeinated today.

The data:
  1. Where: The Admiral Bird, West Seattle.
  2. Date: October 14th at 1 pm.
  3. Consumed:  Americano and a Cinnamon roll 
  4. Details:  Cool day but no rain, bike rack near the front, a place I had never visited before.
  5. Mileage: 6.60 KM/4.16 Miles

The ride was fine and I didn't even need the granny ring on the slight incline on my way there.  That bodes well as with this years theme I will need to go farther afield and that will mean real hills. 


The Admiral Bird is right next to Alki bike and board so I spent some time ogling the shiny blue Jamis Aurora in the window with painted to match rack and fenders.


Ride.Smile.Caffeinate.Repeat

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I've spent this cold Texas panhandle morning reading my way through your posts waiting for it to warm up so I can go ride. I found your blog while researching Schwinn Passage as I am waiting on delivery of a 1986 Passage that I bought. It's nice to see you still riding yours. I am also on BF and saw your pics there as well.

    Question. Which type of freewheel are you using 5, 6 or 7 speed? Did you ever try a 7 speed freewheel on the original rear wheel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am using an IRD defiant 6 speed FW on the Passage and I have not tried a 7 speed but think one could work. Have fun with yours I have really enjoyed mine

      Delete