Saturday, September 8, 2018

Cresta GT: Shifting and Test Ride!



Earlier in the week when I was working on Shifting I didn't like how the stock SunTour RD looked in the small/small combo, chain rubbing on jockey wheel, since I had abandoned the idea of indexing I decided to make a change.


I went with my favorite RD, the early 2000's Shimano Deore LX M581.  I love the CNC'd look and it performs great. I used one on the Passage with a 6 speed FW and it was fine, however I couldn't get the low limit set to avoid over shifting the chain into the spokes with a 5 speed FW, so last night I switched back.


One more thing to love about chains with quick links is that it makes  it easy to do multiple derailleur swaps.  I realized the chain rub was only happening in the small/small combo and was fine for the other 14 gears and that combo is rarely if every going to get used whereas needing to shift into my easiest gear without over shifting into the spokes was going to be very important.  I was able to fine tune the limit screws on the stock RD so that I was no longer over shifting, so I went to bed with the gearing set last night.


This morning the Cresta was practically yelling Ride me! take me outside and lets go ride!


I only planned on a very short maybe 1 kilometer test ride and didn't even take a multi-tool with me.


I probably ended up going 3 or 4 kilometers rather than just 1 km (I didn't set up the wireless computer or use my phone app) because A) I wanted to enjoy the fruits of my labor and B) I couldn't stop smiling!  It fits, it feels good, it just felt ....right.   That was not unexpected but still a relief that after 5 months I didn't hop on and feel meh.  I do have some work to do still; both the saddle rail clamp and the seat tube clamp need tightening and front derailleur needs adjustment to go more easily into the small ring, its close and I could finesse it with shifting the RD but I'll need to adjust the limit screw.   Its an admittedly small sample but I think both the tires and saddle are going to be very good, and I am going to avoid the temptation to throw bar tape on right away and do at least one more ride of 5 miles or so before I do that final piece.

Bottom-line riding this bike puts a smile on my face.



Test Ride your new bike. Smile allot. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment