Thursday, August 22, 2019

Summer Sell a-thon

I started in the spring wanting to thin the herd, at that point I had 9 bikes which was way too much for my 2 bedroom apartment and I wanted to get down to a core 4.  I did NOT want to be the crackpot with a porch full of bikes and parts again.


I started with the Ibex, I paid $80 for it, rode it in last year clunker challenge,considered keeping it but couldn't get the fit quite right.  I put new grips and tires on it for $50 and basically broke  even with the sale at $130.  It went to a Mom who wanted a camping bike and something that could haul a kid trailer.


Next up was the 87 Letour that I started on last year.  I got this bike cheap, $50 but it had no rear brake, I spent $10 get a nice used long reach from the co-op.  This bike was odd in that I did all the normal full refurb stuff, stripping the bike to the frame, rebuilding all the bearings, cleaning the components, waxing the frame etc, but  I didn't change the bar tape or tires.  I picked up some misc cables to go with bits of housing I already had an a new chain so maybe $20 to get to about $80 all in.  The Schwinn sold for $130 to a nice local young man who was going to commute on it.


I had intended to keep riding the Novara Randonee but between its less than ideal fit, short TT, overlap with other bikes in the fleet and the fact it was prime selling time I put it on the market.  This bike gave me some challenges between seat post binders, shifters and trying to use a cartridge bb but it was in fine fettle by the time I sold it.  I paid $70 for the bike but then replaced the shifters, did the normal bar tape, chain, tires, cables and then also upgraded the cockpit.  I got $200 for it and we'll say that after getting use out of it riding (Including the Tour De Lopez),  I just about broke even,  It went to a Kid who is going to college in LA and needed a bike to get around, his dad is an avid cyclist and gave the Novara his blessing, and paid for it lol.  Had I kept the cockpit stock and not messed with the Symmetric shifters I could have probably done well on this bike but I did build it to ride it and I made it comfortable for me,


The Allez was the crown jewel of the bunch, I had a lot fun riding it last year to determine that a 56 cm bike just wasn't going to fit.  I got a great deal by finding this for $80 on CL.  It got the full spa treatment, I bought new tires and cables but the bar wrap and new chain had been in the parts bin for a few years, I hated the quick link on the Connex chain but used a KMC quick link instead which worked great.  I spent about $150 all in, and got $225 for it from a young guy who was already an Allez fan and was intending to use this one for winter commuting.  One of these days I will find a 58.


And tonight I sold the Rock Hopper to a tall gentleman who will use it to commute on the Burke-Gilman bike trail.  I got the RH for $65 and if I could have gotten the rear shifter to work I think I could have come close to doubling my $$.  As it was I put another $40 into for tires, really like the Schwable City tires btw, and used an orphan left friction shifter from the parts bin to solve the shifting issue,  I ended up selling it for $120 so I did make a little bit on this one.


I started with 9 bikes, adding the Rock Hopper brought me to 10, I have sold 5 and have the Trek  420 yet to refurb and sell and that will get me down to 4 bikes.  A lot more room and a bit of cash in my war chest for the potential coming unemployment, depends on how long it takes to find a new gig. 

I might have squeezed more $$ out of the above bikes but I am happy overall and my investments certainly did  better than sitting in a savings account,  and I had fun on most of these bikes to boot,  My plan is to refurb the Trek 520 over the winter an then do a lot of comparison riding between it and the Cresta GT,

Ride. Refurb. Thin the herd. Stack the Cash. Smile. Repeat

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Roadie it took me two tries to get it right. I'm out of practice.

      Delete
  2. MY Velo BRO
    Nothing like a gig economy to keep life interesting. I've been off work for two weeks now and riding everyday. It took about a week for the butt torture to fade away. The legs and lungs are still protesting, but less so every day.

    I'm riding 20 miles or more every morning, except for hangover days, which seem to coincide with weekly visits from my buddy Smyrna Jan. But he cannot be controlled so I just throw in and get wasted per schedule.

    Also following the Paleo diet again, which sometimes seems silly but having ANY form of discipline is better than just eating frozen pizza with a dozen beers any old time ya want to. Cause I want to all the time...

    I nailed down a new blogspot yesterday called it The Paleo Cyclist and meanwhile have been keeping a journal of the last two weeks, recording diet and rides. I'm not sure what I have here, other than a few thousand words but I am thinking about publishing it soon. I will have to go back to work sooner or later and we both know how work screws up your life. But poverty ain’t much fun either (although all this work isn’t exactly making me rich.) I have been leaving on my daily rides before sunup, before the heat and traffic kick in. I’m doing this in hopes of keeping it up when work starts up again, riding before work...I have a pretty easy job these days and I MIGHT pull it off...hence the new blog...

    You sold those bikes so handily I suspect you let them go too cheap. But you're the pro. I probably would have given them away. Last month I was at my workshop, fooling around with Little Miss in the stand when I noticed a guy going through the shop dumpster. I went out to see what was going on and he said "I saw your bike shop and thought there might be bike parts in here. My bike got stolen."

    I recognized him. He was camping in the woods behind the shop and living on a badly rusted walmart mtb. I had been drinking a little and when in me cups, my heart is soft. Next thing I know there he was with tears in his eyes and thanking me profusely, as they say, then riding off on my good ol' '91 Mongoose.

    Do I regret it? Well, I would never have done it if sober. So does that mean I am a more better kinder person when soused? If so, does that mean I should be soused more often?

    I don't know. It will require more research.

    tj

    ReplyDelete
  3. TPC its great to hear from you as always! Glad to hear you are riding, I hope emulate that when this gig closes down in about two weeks and while the weather is still mild.

    Yeah I probably do let things go a bit cheaper than I should but my goal is to clear space and do a bit better than break even, and on 3 of 5 of those bikes I got a lot of miles and smiles out them of before I they got sold on so there is that. Nice of you to gift your Mongoose to someone in need, my Jewish friends would call you a Mensch and they'd be right, let me know when your blog goes live I would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bro I know you are a busy guy (for now) but I wondered if you could pass along your (highly respected) professional opinion on this deal I ran across yesterday.

    https://daytona.craigslist.org/bik/d/palm-coast-schwinn-tempo-62cm-steel/6954460043.html

    After taking a solemn vow to NEVER AGAIN indulge in rehabbing an old steel bicycle I saw that red LeTour in your post and started thinking "I am, after all down to two bikes" and "boy that red LeTour sure looks good"

    Well, you know the syndrome. Having been unemployed for the past month I can hardly afford a big ticket (for me) purchase but...COLUMBUS TENAX! My size! AARGH...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim Joe, always happy to use my powers for good. For this bike what I see is its a Tempo which was near the top of the line, Tenax tubing like my Passage I really liked that frame, over all appears to be in good shape. The wheel set is just ok as I *think* Joytech hubs are serviceable but nothing special. I personally would not pay $300 and it appears no one else is either since its been languishing for at least 3 weeks. I would dicker and see if could get them down. I would factor in that you will need at least tires and maybe more, the cable housing and bar tape don't appear new. Nice bike priced to high imho. Let me know how it turns out. Sometimes I will keep an eye on a bike like this and let it go out to a month and then make an offer. There will always be another deal if you really want a new project.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Master Roadie. With your permission I think I will cut and paste your critique and send it to the seller. It does appear that someone has fiddled with this bike because it does seem to have a mixed bag of components. Meanwhile, I want to replicate more or less Little Miss so that I have backup. I really am riding seriously again.

      Thanks again!
      tj

      Delete
    3. From further research it would appear to be about an 86 and in that year it was 5th from the top in the line up. Below Paramounts above LeTours. I would just paraphrase that it seems a little over priced and needs some new pieces I would really want to see it before offering just to check for rust, damage, stuck stem or seatpost etc. Good Luck TPC

      Delete
    4. Ryan I got your email and yeah, after spending six hours in hand to hand combat with Blogger I gave up. There is some dastardly layout/formatting thing happening that is preventing me from being able to get a post online that makes sense.

      Meanwhile, I am going to pull back from publishing the Paleo Cyclist for a while and polish it up. It started out as personal scribblings but now I think it is shaping up like something else. I have at least twenty thousand words and running so now...I don't know. Maybe a different forum from Blogger, I swear I would just as soon

      Delete
    5. maybe send out emails to a list of subscribers. What just happened? Is there a word limit in comments? Paleo cyclist is destined to be an ebook. If I do it right.

      Delete