Sunday, September 1, 2019

Moto_GT set back

Moto_GT in errand mode
Before I get started with the 420 Frame I will share a story about the Moto_GT, between wanting to ride more and feeling like I have neglected the Moto_GT since I rebuilt it I have been trying to take it on my errand runs with an eye toward longer rides down the road



In riding the Moto_GT I noticed two issues, the brake pads had too much room to the rim and my FD cable kept going slack.



A few minutes work and I had the brake pads more snug to the rim.  The FD was another matter.



I think in retrospect the cable should be aligned with that faint indent you can see just to the right of its current position, I have always thought the alignment of both FD and RD cables at the pinch bolt could be less nebulous anyway I used a hex Y wrench rather than a screw driver to torque it down.


SNAP.  After a torrent of adult language and lamentations.  I realized that this was an opportunity,


I have been aware of tap sets as a way of removing busted bolts but have not owned or used one.  I need to be sure that the small M3 tap will work on the bolt I busted so for now this sits in my Amazon wish list but its only about $10.  It can also wait until the Job picture is clearer as I do have other bikes to ride lol.  I think I have a neighbor with one if I wanted to ask for a favor and the reality is it isn't too hard, or costly, to come by a used Suntour FD if I wanted to just straight swap it out but my inclination is to repair it and keep the original one with the bike.

Ride.Smile. Don't over torque. Repeat.

2 comments:

  1. "adult language and lamentations..." That's good, son, real good. Now, I am known to stretch the truth from time to time but this is for real: there is such a thing as a left handed twist bit (I know, it sounds like something you would pay extra for in a Tijuana strip joint) but they are for real and work just fine.

    And NOTHING makes you feel more like a master of the universe than the magic of drilling and tapping a hole and then watching a screw or bolt slip into the new hole like, like...uh...sorry there is a hurricane on my doorstep and the party started three days ago so similes, analogies, metaphors and entendres are flying around in the (soon to be) heavy winds of my ancient brain.

    But somehow I am certain that you get the gist of it.

    yer pal, archimedes

    ReplyDelete