Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Hankering for a Hybrid

91 Schwinn CrissCross

I spent all summer into fall pairing down my bike herd but that doesn't stop me from visiting CL or FB marketplace just to see what's out there.  A few years back I did a tune up on my friends Diamond back Hybrid and ever since I have thought it might be fun to try one out.  I would probably end up building it up as a monster commuter and then sell it but it would be fun to play with.  It was the route I was going to take for this years clunker challenge until I lucked into the Trek 520.

The bike above is a Schwinn CrissCross which was the middle bike of their hybrid line up in the early 90s.  Its lugged steel, 700c wheels, thumb shifters, canti brakes, all the things I was looking for in a candidate.  It had been on FB marketplace for weeks steadily coming down in price and I had reached out to confirm size with the intention of buying it when I got back from my trip to Spokane over the weekend.  I think I could have had it for $50 or less but alas it was gone when I checked the listing on Sunday night.  Oh well.


I did a bit more scouring and found this Bridgestone XO-3 the price is right and the brand has allure but the frame is not lugged and its a sloping top tube which is not what I am looking for.  And it feels like a bit of a rebound after waiting too long on the CrissCross.


And this morning I saw this Trek 750 come up, it ticks alot of boxes but its double what I am currently willing to pay and it appears to have butterfly/trekking bars which I am not a fan of, still not too hard to change if the price drops.

Miyata Triple Cross

There were lots of hybrids being made in the early 90s so I just need to be patient, I might even stumble onto a cool Miyata Triple cross like the one above.

In addition to being a fun project to play with a Hybrid could also stand in as this winters trainer bike.  We'll see maybe I will come to my senses and keep the stable at 5.

Ride. Smile. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment