Saturday, July 11, 2020

Allez Fin



I finally got around to putting the bar tape on the Allez and I am going to call it done (for now).


It is my speed machine, at least it makes me feel like I am fast although I am sure the reality is I am not very fast at all, but a boy can dream after all.


The 5th and 6th cogs (the 21 and 23 tooth) are still be a bit iffy especially under load but it occurred to me that perhaps expecting perfection out of a Suntour GPX drive train paired with a new SunRace 7 speed FW isn't realistic.  Perfect being the enemy of good in this case, the bike goes fine between the 50/34 chain rings and shifts into most gears just fine including the all important big cog.


I am realizing that even with some additional weight loss this is not going to be a climbing machine in its current incarnation even with the the compact crank, due to the 25t "big" cog.   I could get lower gears but that would require a drive train overhaul as the GPX shifters won't play well with other rear derailleurs, from what I have read. so for now this will be the bike for blasting on the flats, something it does very well.

Ride. Allez! Smile. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment