Friday, July 3, 2020

Allez rebuild; frame back together and hanging parts



After a nice clean and coat of wax it was time for the frame and fork to be reuntied but first I needed to get the headset back on starting with the cup and cone.



The sonic cleaner did its usual great job with the headset and with fresh grease in the bearing rings I was ready to go.  I realized I had used up all my replacement headset bearing rings so I reused the originals.


And now we are ready to start hanging parts off the frame.  The paint was in good shape but the coat of wax really brings out the red.



I also worked on the bars and more specifically the hoods.  I tried the Shimano 105 hoods and they fit ok and I was thinking they would make a good contrast with the white bar tape.



And a look with one of each on the bars.  Ultimately I just thought the originally hoods fit the levers better and while the Shimano hoods would have been fine if the originals were too trashed to be used I decided to go back to the white stock hoods.


They cleaned up pretty good with dish soap and then a bit of WD-40 on the stubborn bits.  They were a bit sticky when done but I will be wearing gloves on the bike so I think I will be ok.   I count myself lucky that I got the 35 yearold hoods off and back on the levers without mishap.  I will say go slow and take your time.  I use dish soap on the inside of the hoods as a lubricant when putting them back on the levers.



I used the last of my Mothers aluminum polish to clean up the grungy stem.




I got the new cartridge bottom bracket on and then quickly followed with crank, brakes, bottle cage and saddle and seat post.


Since the wheels were ready to go I mounted them up with the new 700 x 25 mm tires.  Plenty of room up front.


In the back....not so much, the tire would not even turn lol.  A 700 x 23mm Ultra sport tire is on the way,  I will leave the 700 x 25mm up front.  I am a bit surprised a 1989 bike can't fit a tire bigger than 700 x 23 but that's ok as I have plenty of bikes that take fatter tires.  And what would a rebuild be without a few obstacles?

Ride. Smile. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment