Friday, July 24, 2020

Minor changes coming for the Allez



The fact that the index shifting is not working 100% bugs me, what a surprise.   As I mentioned the Suntour GPX drive train paired with a new SunRace 7 speed FW isn't a perfect marriage.   SunTour had specific spacing for its index shifting that the SunRace FW does not duplicate hence the lack of precision


One option would be to just get a Suntour vintage FW and swap that in.  If I wanted a racing ( corn cob) FW I could get one for around $30 shipped (or more) but the range is just not enough for this old dude.



Something with more appropriate range would run me $100 or more! and most of the ones available are more teeth than the GPX RD could handle so that is additional expense (wolf tooth) to make the RD work .




So I decided to try some Shimano 7 speed indexed pieces that in theory should work with my current SunRace FW.  I found these shifters on Bike Forums for $15 shipped.


And this 105 rear derailleur for $35 on Ebay.  So for about $50 all in I should have some reliable indexing to ALL gears.  I am hoping that all I need to replace is the right shifter and RD - fingers crossed.  No real reason to replace the left shifter as the FD works fine and the Suntour GPX and Shimano 105 are both grey so I *think* it will work.

If this all works then maybe I may even try out a 28t 7 speed FW which Velobase says this 105 RD can handle which would give me even more range, but first we'll see if it works with the 25t FW currently in place.  I will be a happy camper if I can confidently shift to all 14 gears.    All the pieces won't be here until the second week in August so I am hopeful I can get the Miyata 112 finished before that.


Ride, Shift to all gears. Smile. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment