Sunday, April 29, 2018

LBS to the rescue! Spa treatment part 1.1 Moto_GT


I don't recall a lock ring on the adjustable bottom bracket cup ever defeating me, plenty of non adjustable cups have refused to budge but never a  lock ring...until yesterday.  I had the Moto_GT nearly all the way apart but the stinker of a lock ring wouldn't budge so I stopped.

I did some research, assured myself via Sheldon Brown 's bb crib sheet that regardless of whether it was French or Swiss it was going to be lefty loosey as it was a right hand thread.  I tried again and succeeded in mangling one of the notches in the lock ring.   I give, it was off the Alki bike & board and the wrench had it loose before I could see what he was doing or what tool he used but as you can see from the gap above it was LOOSE!


If you look at 10 O'clock on the circle above you will see the notch that is deformed, by yours truly...sigh.   This is one reason I am going so slow on the Cresta GT, I don't want to mangle stuff.  With the lock ring off that meant....

...the adjustable cup is out along with bearings and spindle.  I still have no clue if the fixed cup is right threaded (French) or left threaded (Swiss) and according to Velo base NOTE: French and Swiss-thread variants are BOTH marked 35xP1, with no markings indicating thread direction -nice.   I tried rightly loosely on the chance it was Swiss but it wouldn't budge, I may try some more but I can do a rebuild with the fixed cup left in.


With the bottom bracket out, I removed the fork and  turned my attention to the headset cups.  They didn't take too much persuading and finally after road blocks on two straight bikes...


I was down to a bare frame, except for the stubborn fixed cup but he can stay if he wants.   I think the paint is going to require some work, the bike felt dirty even after a wipe down with armor all wipes.  Since it is totally stripped I think the 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring has jumped the queue on the Cresta GT, so I will try and do as much as I can with it before the last tool arrives for the Cresta headset threaded spacer and then see where I am at.



I did ride to the Market but instead of beer I drowned my sorrows at my favorite local steak house with a MAN-mosa accompanied by steak and eggs.  Yum.

As always; Ride. Use your LBS when the need arises. Smile. Repeat.

2 comments:

  1. My LBS has bailed me out of many situations and I'm thankful for them! Wish I could buy all accessories and parts from them also, but sadly they can't please everyone...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I need to back and buy some tubes because they did the lock ring gratis- the cashier was trying to make a bike sale as I left

      Delete