Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Novara Randonee: Drive train and brakes


The Allez wheelset gave me hope of 7 speeds on the Randonee but the 7 speed FW on the stock wheel shows (above) no real clearance for the smallest cog, so I eneded up ordering the 6 speed version of the Shimano Tourney Mega-range FW.



For comparison the TZ30 on the left being the 6 speed and the TZ31 the 7 speed model...


the key measurement was the shorter height of the 6 speed FW which I hoped would allow for more clearance.



And it did add more clearance so I should be able to run the chain without issue and I even had room for the pie plate (spoke protector).   I will probably add a spacer to the rack bolt to bring it in a bit since it sticks out toward where the chain will run.



I was sad the new dual pivot brakes weren't going to work out for the initial build but I got the stock brakes cleaned up, lubed and put on new brake pads so they could get mounted.  Since they are running with the stock wheels there should be no issues.  Note the rear brake has the cable guide arm coming off the drive side where the Tektro dual pivot arm came off the non drive side. so the spacers I added to the rack strut and now superfluous.




Like the brakes the derailleurs got a sonic bath, then I lubed the pivot points with 3 in 1 oil an mounted them up.




I was curious/concerned about whether the stock RD could handle a 34 tooth cog so I went to the web and the website Disraeli Gears gave the answer - the GT version of the Cyclone II can handle 34 teeth at the maximum so it should work, and if not there is always the Shimano 9 speed Deore LX in the parts bin.


I also got the shifters mounted, due to the time crunch on this project and being a bit intimidated I didn't fully take apart the shifters, based on what I have read there are lots of pieces for this shift system and I couldn't find a good exploded diagram to guide me.  I just took out the left screw that holds shifter on and then did a thorough WD 40 flush let if dry, and to finish dribbled in 3 in 1 oil for lube.  Getting  the band the center bolt screws into back on was a bit of a bear but I got it done.  I will know if it is all working well when I get the bike back together.


EDIT


Searching bike forums I found an exploded diagram so down the road I could take the shifters apart with some hope of reassembly.





Along with the 6 speed FW I ordered a new helmet, the Specialized helmet I was wearing when I crashed looks fine but I don't trust the Styrofoam will do the same job in any subsequent crashes.  I read somewhere a few years back that all bike helmets pass the same safety regulations so the fancy Giro helmet that cost 5 times what the Bell helmet does isn't actually any safer.  I ordered a generic Basecamp helmet and frankly I do like the fit and finish better on my Specialized but the new helmet does have a built in rear light so that is nice and it hasn't been crashed.


If all goes well I will travel to Portland on Sunday to get the Cresta's fork bent back into shape.  Fingers crossed.  In the meantime I hope to get allot done on the Randonee so I will have a touring bike with a nice low gear back in the stable to ride in the Tour De Lopez.



Ride. Smile. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment