Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Requiem for a Cresta GT


It was a promising start, temperature over 50, sunny I was going to do a flat 6 miler on the Alki trail.



Got the bike out of the car and set up and off I went.


I had turned around and was about a 1/4 mile into the return when my forward motion abruptly stopped and I went endo into the bike path.  My theory is the bolt holding the rack to the fork came loose, odd since it had a nylon nut, and slide forward (as you can see) becoming an emergency brake.  Sigh.



At best I have a ruined fork and bent handle bars but I fear it will be worse (head tube).  For now I am going to lick my wounds - nothing broken (I think) but lots of bruises and soreness and it will probably be worse tomorrow.

Sad for the Cresta and me, mad at my mechanic -also me, and mostly bummed, but as I limped back to the car I kept reminding myself it could be worse.  I wasn't going fast or down hill, I didn't hurt anyone but me, I walked away, a nice couple came up and helped me.  Tomorrow, or next week or next month, is another day.  Not sure I can look a front rack in the eye again through.

Not riding, not smiling, and I hope to god not repeating (the crash)

8 comments:

  1. Bummer! Glad you weren't seriously hurt! From here it looks like you only roached your forks, can't make out any wrinkles behind the head tube, so the Cresta may roll again. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, when I feel up to it I will do an autopsy and check the cost of having a frame builder take a look at head tube etc to see if the frame is sound ...or toast.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about the crash, Ryan! Looks like the bike may have taken the brunt of the crash and you were spared. Be grateful no matter how bad it hurts to look at that bent fork.
    Replacements can be found.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josh I really intended to treat the cresta much better than that! Then again it might not look bad with a chrome fork....

      Delete
  3. Egads, glad you're okay! Remember, it's only a bike, and while you've fallen in love with the lugs and two-tone color scheme, it will all be okay in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie I mostly sad that allot of work came to such and end (for now), its not like I don't have another bike or 5 to take up the slack lol

      Delete
  4. Yikes!! I came to catch-up and here I read about this!! I am also glad to hear you did not suffer big injuries. I am very sorry for the damage to the Nishiki. I know how much work and love you put into this bike. It will come back, and if not.....all the parts will go to a new love of a frame!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim -2 weeks on my wrist is much better and the lump on my shin is receding and I might actually get the fork fixed this weekend so the story of the Cresta may (MAY) not yet be done.

      Delete