Saturday, July 15, 2017
Bike Blitz Day 5 - finale
I had to have the garage cleaned up by about 6 pm today so wanted to get started by 9 am. I decided to get new rubber on the Miyata rear wheel.
And a comparison of the old tire (right) and new and yes just a bit wider..lol.
While I was on the Miyata I decided to swap out the brake pads, old dirty worn out dia-compes for new fresh dia-compes.
They are going to need some tweaking to set up but they should do a good job of arresting my forward motion.
You may remember the saga of my trying to get a front rack mounted to the Passage since that didn't work I had a front rack laying around and now its on the Miyata.
I was able to use the stock hardware to mount the rack to the canti-posts but had to run to the hardware store for hardware to take care of mounting the rack tang to the fork - I really love ratcheting wrenches for working in tight spaces. I may need to do a bit of tweaking for brake clearance but I think it will work.
I am liking how the bike looks with the new rubber and I am looking forward to getting it ride-able.
I checked my mail and a the new saddle came for the Miyata, a Brooks Flyer. I didn't get quite the deal I got on the Velo Orange sprung leather saddle but I did get a decent deal and I wanted something sprung for this bike. Now all I need is the correct sized seat post, I have a few leads on that and am hoping to have an answer soon.
Do not try this at home! unless you're desperate according the BikeMan4u where I got the idea. This is the way out of true rear wheel that was on the Passage. I tried conventional truing with no luck, so I was looking something else and gave this a try. Long story short I will be salvaging the free-wheel and rubber and buying a new rear wheel. This fix is beyond my abilities and I figure the shop rate at the LBS is going to be equal or greater than just getting a new wheel. No more mounting my bike cowboy style. Fortunately I have the stock rear for the Passage that has been pressed into service and allowed me to ride hills with the Passage.
I should be working on the Mirage hubs today but my cleaning supplies including the sonic cleaner went back home yesterday -so since my cleaner and the hub parts are in two different places I cleaned up the rear wheel instead.
I applied some 3-n-1 to the spoke nipples so when I true the wheels I can (hopefully) avoid a frozen spoke situation.
I also addressed the dirty free wheel with a
A WD-40 bath and some rag work, might need a bit more but its an improvement on where I started.
Like the front wheel I am going backwards and I put new rubber on the rear wheel before addressing the hub. I only put the wheels on the Mirage to make it easier to move, it still has a ways from being done. I am kind of laughing at myself that I spent 5 days on bikes and did alot but I do not have even one complete bike to show for it. My hands are beat up, my body aches and I don't think I will be doing any bike work tomorrow, but I might take a ride.
Lots of project to finish, until next time. Ride. Smile. Repeat.