Thursday, July 27, 2017
Goldilocks and the 4 seat posts
Once upon a time there was a Miyata Trail runner, which for the purposes of our story we'll call Goldilocks. For some reason a DIY bear had replaced Goldilocks' original seat-post with a longer but smaller one. DIY bear used an inferior post and clamp type post and because it was too narrow for the seat tube he used pieces of tin cut from a pop can to shim it. The solution was functional but sad. That post measured 26.0.
So your intrepid author searched to find the correct size for Goldilocks, but he found no reference. He put out a request to a collection of bike gear heads and helpful but clueless Bear told him he had the same bike and it had a 26.8 post. Oh Joy! that sized post was purchased.
Clueless Bear was wrong! that seat post wouldn't even slide into the seat tube because it was too fat. Sigh.
So it was decided one size down would work and Almost Bear was purchased. And unlike Clueless Bear, Almost Bear did slide into the seat tube but something didn't feel right, Almost Bear felt forced like it was just a bit too big. That post measured 26.6.
The good folks at Bike Works had provided the previous two posts at a very reasonable price but had no just a bit smaller posts in stock. Amazon Bear said "I have one" and so I gave Amazon Bear half the purchase price of Goldilocks herself and soon it arrived....
And finally it was a seat post, 26.4 that was JUST RIGHT. Thanks Amazon Bear, the end.
There is still a bit to do with the seat post, as you can see I got it married to the Brooks flyer but I need to do some work on the QR clamp for the post. The QR above top came with the bike but its a bit clunky and nothing like what the bike had originally. On one of my many recent trips to Bike Works for %$&ing seat posts I picked up the QR above bottom, a specialized QR more in sync with the original style.
If the seat post on the 1984 Nishiki Cascade had stayed stuck I would have used its cool SunTour QR but that is going stay so the Cascade can get built back up into a bike.
I noticed after removing the as found QR that the binder area had a recessed spot for a hex nut so tomorrow I will go to the hardware store and see if I can find one that will work. And then I can get to work fussing with the seat post and saddle to get it dialed in.
While waiting on the last seat post to arrive I took care of some other issues. The out of true rear wheel got a trip to the truing stand.
I replaced frayed brake cable and the frayed straddle cable both front and rear.
I though initially that the cable housing looked fine but part of the rear brake housing was kinked and the cable didn't run smoothly through it so it got upgraded too.
And all the new cables got cable ends crimped on so they don't end up frayed like the last set.
When I originally mounted the front rack I though the tolerance might be too tight for the front Canti's to operate smoothly.
So off came the rack.
And original Canti brakes, which will get mounted on the Nishiki when I build it.
I had a set of Tekro canti's left over from the Passage build, front fork too narrow, and I think their design will work more smoothly with the front rack. So that's two items originally intended for the Passage that made their way to the Miyata.
I am hoping to get the saddle mounted, secured and dialed in tomorrow so I can test ride the bike and hopefully take it down to the Wilapa hills trail to ride a portion of it early next week before I go back to working full time. The Miyata will need a full overhaul but I really want to ride it some before I do that. As always, Ride. Smile. Buy a seat-post. Repeat.