Sunday, September 22, 2019

A more thorough shakedown of the Trek 420


On Saturday I went for a ride with some local members of Bike Forums, Classic & Vintage group, who like me are nuts for lugged steel.  I am in appalling shape  but this was a flat bike trail ride and I figured I could always turn around if it was more than I could take.


Here are some of the C&V bikes that make the ride, my 420 and Schwinn Paramount and an very nice Eddy Merckx.  It was worth showing up just to drool over the lovely bikes.


For this ride I decided to put the VO saddle that had been on the Novara on the 420, I have finally wised up to removing nice saddles and pedals from bikes before I sell them.


It was a lovely fallish day for a ride mid 60s cloudy with sun breaks, 6 of us on the trail and I felt better than I expected, still a bit winded but keeping pace.  What I forgot was that the VO saddle wasn't as broken in as I thought and so at 4 miles in with a good turn around spot I bailed early to avoid some epic saddle soreness. 




Even though I had to cut things short I was glad I did the ride, I had forgotten how fun group rides can be especially when its a group of C&V nuts like me and no one is trying to prove how strong they are, they are just out for a ride.  I was reminded yet again that I need to get back into shape so I can jump into these rides and not worry if I can keep up on a flat 20 miler.   Also if you do the whole ride there is usually beer at the end!

The 420 performed admirably and besides the saddle was comfortable and makes me look forward to what the 520 will be like with a more plush cockpit.  With any luck the new cassette will arrive today and I can close out on the 420.

Ride with friends. Smile. Repeat

No comments:

Post a Comment