Friday, September 6, 2019

Trek 420 Refurb: Front Wheel


Since my rust treated frame was just hanging out waiting for the touch up paint to arrive I decided I could work on some other things while the paint was in transit.


The front wheel seemed like a good place to spend time and I could sit outside in the pleasant weather as I worked on the hub.



As I was cleaning up the hub I noticed something that had eluded me when I bought this used wheel, I did inspect then -really, I was missing a spoke!  There was no rim strip so it should have been obvious but I missed it.  Although replacing a single spoke is probably not beyond me I would have needed to order and wait for parts and at this point in the refurb I don't want to wait around, so I had a trip to the LBS in my future.



In meantime there was a hub to clean and fresh grease and cleaned bearings to install.




The skewer also need some attention from the dremel with the brass wire brush.  It cleaned up nice.


Since I was working from home today I got to the LBS in the mid afternoon and although I was prepared to drop it off and come back they fixed while I waited and trued the wheel to boot.  I had to take a black spoke but its tough to pick out even if you know to look for it.  The $20 I spent at the LBS will eat into my profit margin but I am glad its done and that I spent $$ at a locally owned business.



You can't mix and match 27" and 700c tires and rims but the tubes and rim strips aren't as particular so I was able to use a 27" rim strip I had in the parts bin on this 700c rim and avoid yet another cost.


I would like to see if I can get the side walls a bit more clean than armor all wipes were able to do but the front tire is done with hub rebuilt and rubber mounted.  This is likely the first time in all the refurbs I have done that a front hub got completed before a headset or BB. The parts for those items have been cleaned but I am waiting until I have done the touch up paint and wax on the frame before I install them.

Ride. Count your spokes. Twice! Smile. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment