Sunday, September 1, 2019

Trek 420 Refurb: Frame



Even after my usual wipe down with armor all wipes the Trek was filthy so I did the old soap water with a brush method.



Since I couldn't knock the headset cups out as I normally would I wiped them down and then finished with the dremel and a brass wire brush.



Then I taped off the rust spots, there were more them than I originally thought, and the frame was ready for the Naval Jelly treatment.


A rusty spot like this, turned out...


.. like this, bare metal. Rinse and repeat.


While I was down to the frame I took the opportunity to frame saver the inside of the tubes and fork.

The next thing to do is paint over the bare metal, to that end I spent a couple of $ and downloaded an app to my phone that picks up colors and tells you the code;. hex, pantone etc.  The problem I found is the app has trouble settling on one color, it cycles through a number of them and depending on the light the options can change, but it did give me a range.  I thought I would try for automotive touch up paint this time out and after trying 3 local auto parts stores I ended up ordering a color I hope is a decent match off Amazon.  It will be here on Thursday and I can touch up the frame.  In the mean time I have plenty of parts to clean while I wait for the paint.

Clean, kill rust. Smile, Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment