Monday, September 23, 2019

Trek 420 Refurb: Assembly IV (Smaller cassette and Bar tape)


Bar tape half done

Today I was on the home stretch and determined to finish the 420 and get it listed.  I used an RJ the bike guy video on wrapping handle bars the vintage Trek way and used Newbaum's cotton bar tape and the original Cateye bar end plugs.  I found on the first roll that with the adhesive backing being as wide as the tape it really wanted to stick to itself which is a pain.  It makes it difficult to keep it smooth and flat while wrapping,  For the second roll I would only let 2 to 3 inches of adhesive be exposed at a time to avoid this issue.  I found that two rolls (one for each side)  was plenty long for these vintage bars and in retrospect I could have probably cut a strip to put on the brake lever clamp, like you do with cork tape, so I wouldn't have that triangle showing behind the levers but I decided on this go around to go with the classic method.


Yesterday my new 12-28, 7 speed cassette came so I swapped it out and eliminated the chain grinding issue in the granny gear.  


I also decided to use the Vetta saddle from the Trek 520 for this bike as the 520 will probably get the VO saddle and this Vetta looks more in keeping with the bike than the Marin road saddle it came with, and the Vetta wasn't a real comfortable saddle for me.  It also got the blue Trek branded water bottle cage that was on the Ponderosa.



Its been raining alot today but I was able to get out during a lull and snap some shots for the Craigslist ad, btw for the first time in my experience CL is charging to post an ad, it was $3 for 30 days which is totally reasonable but its the first time I have to pay to list something on CL.
EDIT I inadvertently hit for sale by dealer rather than owner 




Although its officially the first day of fall I count this as the 6th bike I have put up for sale this summer which I am pretty sure is a record for me and not something I want to repeat.  Next summer I want to ride much more than I wrench.  I want to do a clean and tune of the Novara Ponderosa I picked up for a song and get it listed soon too.  Then this winter I can putter on the 520 and the Allez and perhaps deal with the little things the fleet needs, bar tape here a brake adjust there etc.


I am hoping the Trek sells and that I didn't wait too long to get it listed, I may still tinker with truing the rear wheel but essentially the 420 is done.

Refurb. Smile. Repeat,

2 comments:

  1. Awesome job with this build! I love to see classic machines like the 420 restored and back on the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, I like how the 420 turned out.

      Delete