Thursday, September 12, 2019

Trek 420 Refurb: Frame II

Before we get to the Frame I will mention a few items I was able to take care of in parallel.



The skewer that came with the rear wheel was bent at the end which made it a bear to remove from the axle, I took the skewer pictured off a spare 27" wheelset and cleaned it up and it seems  ok but I will find out if its a bit short when I mount the rear wheel.



The Blackburn rack that is stock to the bike was pretty oxidized so I decided to use some of the paint cleaner wax to remove the dull look and give it a bit more luster.

I spent quite a bit of time treating rust on this bike and it seemed like the more I looked the more pant chips I would find.  When the car touch up paint arrived I was encouraged that the color panel on the container was a decent match to the bike. I have more work to do on my paint matching game.


If it had only dried to that color....sigh.  It came out more silver than sand on the bike but the paint chips are protected and it looks ok from 10 feet away.  The bike won't be winning any Concours d'Elegance but at least the frame won't rust out anytime soon.


After letting the paint dry for a few days it was time to slap on some wax.



With the frameset  painted and waxed it was time to reunite the frame and fork, so I greased up some new caged bearings and got to work.  NOTE after taking the pictures above I ended up reversing the direction of the bearings, RJ the Bike guy has a good video on this subject which boils down to that you want to orient the caged bearings so that the bearings are in good contact with both the cup and cone. In the top picture especially, fork crown,  that was not going to be the case.  Anyway problem solved and..


...its time to celebrate the reunification of frame and fork!


I do have some items that are ready to go on the bike; wheel-set, brakes, and derailleurs, but there are other things like the crankset and cockpit that need work.  Fortunately I have time on my hands right now so the plan is to make a push over the weekend and finish this project off and get it listed.

(Touch up) Paint the bike, wax on wax off, Smile, repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment