Sunday, September 8, 2019

Trek 420 Refurb: Rear wheel


I have done the touch up on the frame and I am going to let them dry a few days, once the frame is waxed I will post about the frame.  In the meantime I have time to do other stuff.



The front wheel is done so it seemed like the rear wheel could use some help.


I noticed when pulling the skewer that it was hard to pull out of the axle which shouldn't be the case, and I confirmed it was bent.  I found another one in my parts bin but discovered it was also bent, I need to look a bit more but I will probably need to go to Bike Works to find one, in the mean time crack on as the brits would say.




I got the too small cassette off and then took off the axle from the non drive side.



I figured out I had a Shimano Exage hub, not top of the line but respectable and the rim strip was intact so I wouldn't have to replace it.




I used the magnet trick to get the bearings out of the hub, and my magnetic bowl to keep it all together and now I am left with a dirty hub.


Then I moved to the drive side to remove the free hub body.



Which I then flushed it with Triflow lube to get out the gunk.




After a clean up the hub got new grease and new 1/4 bearings.



Then it was time to put the new wide range cassette on the wheel, I would have preferred silver but black is what they had and it matches the rim and it gives the bike more useful gears.


Needs a Skewer but the hard stuff is done.  In a day or so I will be able to get wax on the frame and then I can get the headset and bottom bracket installed and hit the home stretch for this build.

Ride.Smile.Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment