Thursday, October 24, 2019

Allez Stock wheels and other stuff



As I mentioned I broke down and purchased a set of wheels that are the exact spec that came on the Allez when it was new.  They came off a Bridgestone RB-1 from the same year.  The seller did an excellent job packing them, they arrived safe and secure in their box.


They are as described in the 89 Specialized catalog; Wobler grey anodized rims with Suntour GPX hubs and they are in very nice shape.  They cost me $90 shipped to my door which I think was a very fair price based on what I have seen on ebay and I think I can cover that cost by selling the Ultegra wheels.  Yes the Ultegra wheels are probably nicer but these are very good and the exact right vintage and it keeps the vintage fleet on a Freewheel standard.    In other circumstances I would keep the Ultegra wheels but I have no need of them and I am trying to keep costs down.



The hub markings on both wheels is in great shape for being shape for being 30 years old and since I had a pair of Panaracer Ribmo 700x28c tires hanging around I decided to throwthem on the SunTour wheels.  These tires were last on my Miyata 912 so they have been out of service for 7 years.


The red tread tire on the red frame wasn't as garish as I feared, once I get around to rebuilding the Allez it will probably get black walled 700 x 25c but I wanted to see if the 28's would fit, I don't think width will be an issue but height may be.  I checked the rear for fit between the chain stays but didn't bother mounting it as A) the FW won't be here till next week and B) I would have to deflate the tire to get it past the brake pads. If the Panaracers don't work I can always mount the 700 x 23c Vittoria's that are currently on the Ultegra wheelset.  I plan to strip the Ultegra wheels of tires tubes and cassette anyway before I try to sell them.



I took a stab at cleaning up the very grungy white brake hoods first with Clorox wipes..



And then with tool brush and dish soap method, I think the second method wins.  It would be easier to clean them off the levers but I have concerns about them tearing coming off or going back on so I think they will get cleaned in place,  The plan for now is to mount the wheels once the FW arrives and do a few rides as is.  The Trek 520 just needs shift cables to have all the parts needed for the spa treatment so its next in line.  After I gain employment I can start thinking about the Allez.


I initially listed the Trek 420 at $200 and after a steady march down to $175 if finally sold, to the college kid who came and looked at it last week, I told him at the time he might want to try out a slightly larger frame but he called me back on the weekend and wanted to buy it so I wasn't going to tell him no and he had test ridden it.  I did raise the saddle for him before he left.  After the last price reduction I removed the MKS AR-8 pedals and I think I can get $10-15 for them.  For a late October sale I am ok with the outcome.  On my coffee ride I was struck by how smooth this bike rode so I hope its a good rider for the young guy.



Speaking of rides it was so nice out today I had to go for a ride, although next week is supposed to be sunny I am not taking anything for granted and I know that at some point it will gray and drizzly for weeks on end.

EDIT:


Not long after finishing this post I had someone buy the Novara Ponderosa!  It went for $50 which was my floor, if I hadn't had any bites at $50 my next step would have been to part it out but I was saved that work.   This one also went to a college age kid.  I was very honest about the condition and so long as he keeps it out of the middle ring he'll be fine.  Doubled my money on this one so I am pleased.  That just leaves the Takara, which I will keep dropping the price on till it sells.

Ride. Take advantage of fall sun.Smile.Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment