Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Novara Ponderosa mini refresh


I started with a somewhat grimy trainer bike that I got it for a song @ $25.  I had to curb my natural tendencies to try and spiff up the paint and get new tires etc.  What I decided is to clean it and with the minimum amount out of pocket and sell it on as a reliable beater.  Yeah kind of a flip.


If no one is interested in the Ponderosa as a complete bike I know the 6 speed indexed Shimano Deore thumb shifters in good condition are basically worth what I paid for the bike so I can always go the part it out route.


I did sand the glaze off the brake pads.


I also made sure the seat post and stem were greased.  Since the seat post had sticky gummy grease I cleaned up the seat post and also ran the brake hone in the seat tube so I could start fresh.  I also cleaned and greased the chain.




One thing I did decide to address was the clutter on the bars.  As mentioned this was a trainer bike so it had a clamp on book holder,bullhorns on the end of the bars and the grips were a bit tired.  Since I had a free Amazon gift card the new  $10 grips were essentially gratis.


I do know that the bullhorns are useful from the standpoint of more had positions however, I think the simplified bars with fresh grips look better IMHO.




I am emphasizing the full Deore drive train and the fact this bike would be a great platform for either a commuter or gravel grinder.  And all those rock chips in the paint means you can lock it up downtown and not worry about it.  Time will tell if anyone thinks its the deal I do.



I hope I can get this bike and the 420 moved along to new homes and now I need to get the Takara in the stand and then out the door... after I remove those sweet wheels and the bar end shifters.

No comments:

Post a Comment