Thursday, October 3, 2019

Ride or Wrench? finding some balance


As I sit here looking at the partially disassembled Takara, I do love a good head-badge, I contemplate the balance of riding bikes or wrenching on them.  Ideally I could do both but it never seems to work that way for me.  If I was in a situation were I could commute by bike to work that would give me the fitness and time to ride but work has mostly been a 50 mile round trip for the last few years.  Anyway I seem to either ride or wrench but not both.  I am very happy with the number of bikes I have been able to get fixed and sold this year, 5 in the summer and 3 more this month if I am lucky but I have hardly ridden at all despite getting off to a good start with the April Tour De Lopez ride.


As I was wrapping up the the work on the 420 I was feeling a bit melancholy that with September slipping away I had barely any riding to show for the summer, lots of wrenching but not riding.   On the 25th I wrote about doing some updates to the 520, pictured above on its shake down cruise along Alki.



I had done my shake down cruise with the 520 on Alki because its nice and flat and the 520 being a cantilever brake bike means the front wheel comes off easy peasy and with the rear seats down the bike fits in my 4 door early 2000s Sentra without too much fuss.  And I got to thinking, I have a fleet so why not leave the 520 in the car and I can keep driving my out of shape A$$ to flat Alki so I can ride and not worry about hills?  The picture above is my 2nd day in a row of riding on Alki....


Day 3,  It does help that being between jobs means my schedule is flexible enough I can dodge (or try to dodge) the rain..


Day 4 -Lincoln Park.


Day 5 - oops forgot to include the bike in the shot but it was there.  Passenger ferry dock to downtown.


Day 6 - the snow capped Olympics in the back ground as we look north and west.



Day 7 - on day 2 I had this vague idea that maybe I can get to a week straight of Alki rides and throw a pic up daily in Instagram - sorry for those of you seeing repeats.


Day - 8, most of my Alki rides had been in the 4 to 7 mile range, mostly flat with a couple mild 2% grades. Pedaling, smiling, enjoying being outside on a vintage bike and the drinking in the Puget sound views, and by day 8 things had morphed into a very glacial couch to 20 miler regimen.  I decided it was time to move on to double digit mile rides so 10.5 miles on this Green river trail ride.  Sure I could have probably gutted out a flat 20 miler on day 1, but I would have been wrecked and I like my rides to be fun, not survival slog.



Day -9, I returned to my roots and rode 12+ miles on the Burke-Gilman trail which is where I started riding when I returned to cycling as an adult in 1999.  Where did 20 years go?  I figure with a couple more rides of steadily increasing distance I should get to my goal of 20 miles, hopefully before the gray sets in for the next 5 months.  And the next time I get invited on a group ride I won't politely decline due to being waaay out of shape.



Ride. And keep Riding. Smile. Repeat

4 comments:

  1. So glad you're getting riding in this fall. I seem to have the opposite problem: lots of riding and wrenching only when I must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie yours sounds like a good problem to have ;-)

      Delete
  2. Fit good mudguards on that bike (it's a beauty, BTW) and don't fear the grey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike W. I got a deal on some metal fenders a while ago and one of my fall projects is to fit them to the Cresta, as well as tweaking its front brakes (squealing) so it can be my rain bike.

      Delete