Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Ruminating on the IBEX



I am about to dive in on the Nishiki Cresta and I am looking forward to it as I would like to get some riding in on it while its still summer and I have high hopes for it as the successor to the Passage.  I think I have every thing I need for it and half the main bearings will be brand new so I am hopeful it won't take me 3 months to rebuild the Cresta like it did for the Moto_GT.


I have been doing a lot riding lately on the IBEX, aka Barney, so it has been on my mind.  I have gone over 50 kilometers on Barney so I have some perspective on his fit.  More specifically what I want to change;



Front Wheel:  The one on the bike is fine but the rim and tire are narrow which makes the bike a bit twitchy.  I would like to find something that matches the rear wheel and that would mean it would accommodate wider tires and reduce the twitch factor.  I am going to check the co-op first but Amazon has these wheels for about $40.


Tires: The as is pair are serviceable but mis-matched and old.   I really like the look of the Maxxis DTH 26x2.15 tires although that might be a bit fancy for this bike. but definitely gum walls and at least 2.0 width which should sharpen the look of the bike.


Stem:  I feel like I am leaning forward more than I want so I would like to bring the stem up and back.  I am hoping, like the front wheel, that I can find a stem at the co-op, it would be nice to stay with black but fit is the most important thing.
Grips: I already used my birthday gift card to get some Ergon GP1's, so I am ready to go for grips.


Pedals: The pedals currently on the bike are kind of meh.  I think I will swap the current platforms on the IBEX for the bear trap style pedals that are on the Allez as I like the platform they give and they seem a bit out of place on the Allez.  And I can avoid the cost of getting a pair of MKS sneakers.


Shifters:  I really like the look of mid 80s (metal not plastic) thumb shifters and someday I would like to get a pair to mount on the bike, I might even check out what bikeworks has when I am stem and wheel shopping, but I think I will leave the trigger shifters on the bike for now as they work fine.



Brakes: the pads are serviceable but old and mismatched so some Koolstops all around would be an improvement.


Other items are; replacing the broken water bottle cage. finding a more comfortable saddle, and either putting the mismatched fenders back on or finding a nicer matched pair at the co-op as I think this would make a good rain/winter bike.  It probably needs a bell and kickstand as well to complete the functional vibe.  I may looking into a wider range cassette as well for a bit more low range.


Not sure when this will all happen as the Cresta is next up and I would like to do a quick turn and flip on the LeTour to clear the stable, but Barney has certainly given me plenty of feedback to use for the rebuild.


Ride.Smile.Repeat.






2 comments:

  1. Bikes, bikes, and more bikes! Bikes are always on the brain, eh Ryan? (I totally understand this myself!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Yes they are on the brain lol, but twice in the past week I have had a chance to obtain more bikes and or bike stuff and took a pass as with 7 bikes currently in the stable I am more than full.

    ReplyDelete