Sunday, October 7, 2018

1987 Trek Antelope 800 -Salvage



As I mentioned in a previous post I picked up this Trek 800 for $40 locally just to get some parts for the Bianchi Ibex ..aka Barney.


Today I would normally be riding to the farmers market, but it's grey, rainy and cold so its a good day to stay inside, drink tea and strip a bike.  The wheels were the first to go.


With a little time and some Y wrenches I had a box of parts and...


... a mostly bare frame.



I am going to leave the BB, headset, rear cable guide/roller and seat post quick release with the frame-set.


Two years ago I parted out a Gitane to mixed results.  This time is a bit different as I bought this bike for some parts I could use and I am only really looking to offset my outlay for the bike rather making $$.


This bike was also equipped with a SunTour Alpha 3000 accushift drive train.  Its not everyone's cup a tea but I put the set above on Bike Forums where bike nerds like me hang out, failing that I can put them on Ebay.  I also have a Dia-Compe brake canti brake set and an SR triple crankset that may have some value.  I think I can recoup my $40 but we'll see.


The whole point of this exercise was to get a shorter reach stem and a front wheel to match the rear on Barney.  The rims will need some clean up but now the wheel-set will match and I can get rid of the squirely handling of the current skinny front wheel.   I may still need a stem with more height but I will try this one first as it will bring the bars back compared to the current set up,



Speaking of Barney I have this idea to leave him at work for the rest of the month. The parking garage in my building has secure bike parking and since I go in early I am usually ready to go by 4 pm so I can take advantage of daylight till 6 on days its nice enough to ride.  To that end I picked up a rear blinky light and a Lezyne pump which is small enough for a jersey pocket.  I also have a new bottle cage on the way but the broken one will server for now.


Once cool thing I noticed while cleaning up the frame is that the Trek Antelope was sold in my home town of Wenatchee Washington, what are the odds?

Ride.Salvage.Smile.Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment