Saturday, October 13, 2018

Coffeeneuring Challenge 2018: Ride 1: Caffe Vita (Thriftway)



It wasn't the most auspicious start, I rode a rented bike to the grocery store.  I did however check a number of boxes with this ride:


  • Try out a Lime bike
  • Try out a bike with Electric assist
  • Don't repeat a coffee shop you have already been to for Coffeeneuring
  • Ride on a lovely day


Its a lovely fall day out and its day 2 of Coffeeneuring .  I am hoping to ride again tomorrow so I can get off to a flying start.  I have two themes for year 3 of Coffeeneuring; no repeats and ride a different bike each time.  In the last 2 years I have gone to 13 different places on 14 rides, only Cafe Ladro got on the board twice.  This year I want to avoid a repeat and that means thinking outside the box, hence the grocery store.



Unlike most stores which just slap a Starbucks in and call it good, my local Thriftway serves Caffe Vita which is good stuff.



I sipped my latte outside where I could keep and eye on the bike.  Since I only have 6 bikes I needed the Lime bike to make 7 different bikes for 7 different coffee rides.  A few observations on the Lime bike:

  • Its a tank so the E assist was really necessary
  • I like the E assist
  • Not a fan of the saddle
  • I would have liked the throttle, can I call it a throttle?, to be more clear i.e I am adding or decreasing my assist? and am I at 20% or 100% of assist.  I could feel it helping but the controls were vague.
  • No helmet but I brought my own in a back pack and used the convenient front basket for my pack.
  • I had to walk about 4 blocks to find one but the app makes it pretty easy to do so, kind of ironic as they are often within 100 feet of my building.
  • Easy unlock with your smart phone
  • I kind of like the step thru for mounting the bike.
  • No way I could see to "pause" my ride, which meant I had to ride, lock/end ride, and then unlock and start a new ride after getting coffee.
  •  2.3 miles total in 2 separate rides cost me about $3.50  so cheaper that uber and faster than walking and no waiting around for a bus.
I could see using one of these for errands but not for any ride over about 3 miles.


The data:
  1. Where: Morgan Street Thriftway, West Seattle.
  2. Date: October 13th at 12:15 pm.
  3. Consumed:  Irish Creme Latte from the Caffe Vita kiosk inside the store.
  4. Details:  Gorgeous fall day, bike parking near store entrance 
  5. Mileage: 2.3 miles
  6. Bike Used: Lime Bike with E-assist 

Hope to have another ride to report tomorrow on one of my own bikes.

Rent a Ride.Smile.Caffeinate.Repeat

No comments:

Post a Comment