Sunday, October 28, 2018

Coffeeneuring Challenge 2018: Ride 6 Metropolitan Market bakery & Coffee


Last night it poured and the forecast for today looked like rain all day so another ride this weekend looked doubtful.  I checked this morning, however, and it appeared there would be some dry spots in the afternoon.


On the off chance things cleared up I did spend some time last night fitting the front brake so the bike would be ready if a ride was a possibility.  In the end I was glad I did as I decided to go for it in the afternoon period where it looked to remain clear.


My destination was Metropolitan market, a fancy grocery store in the fancy end of West Seattle.  With my goal of not going to any place I have been in the last 2 years and excluding Starbucks my choices have narrowed.


I ended up with a very chocolaty chocolate chip cookie and a Hazelnut latte, not bad for a grocery store.  I sat down to coffee and realized I had left both coffeeneuring patches at home on the counter!!


I had a first on this ride, first time doing a coffeeneruing ride clipped in, I ride 99.9%  on flats these days but I had the spds on the Trek while its on trainer duty and didn't feel like swapping them out and decided to ride with cleats for the heck of it.


A four mile road ride gave me a lot of feedback on how the 420 fits and rides, that you don't get on the trainer, but rather than go into the whole litany lets just say it needs an overhaul, especially the ridiculous corn cob 7 speed cassette which might be great for crits but robs the triple crank of its range.


It also occurred to me riding in wet streets on old tires and ancient brake blocks with only one brake might not have been my smartest move, the new brake cable and housing did great but still...

The data:
  1. Where: Metropolitan Market, 2320 42nd Ave SW. West Seattle.
  2. Date: October 28th at 2:00 pm.
  3. Consumed:  Hazelnut Latte and Chocolate chip cookie.
  4. Details:  Rainy with sun breaks, ok bike parking.
  5. Mileage: 4.48 miles
  6. Bike Used: 1985 Trek 420.

Ride. Try not to die.Smile.Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment